Wednesday daily sheep summary
25 May 2016
Lamb numbers at Forbes decreased 25% this week, to 23,331 head. Quality across the offering was fair, with well finished and supplementary fed lines in good supply. Heavy and extra heavy weight categories were well represented, with the usual buyers competing in a dearer market overall.
Mutton throughput declined 31%, to 3,988 head. Merinos made up the majority of the yarding, with quality mixed week-on-week.
- Light weight 2 score old Merino lambs settled 21¢ lower, on 531¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 4 score old lambs to processors jumped 36¢, at 596¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old lambs to slaughter were up 23¢, at 594¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score old lambs finished 28¢ higher, at 592¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes averaged 396¢, up 15¢/kg cwt
Consignments at Ballarat decreased 24%, to 18,675 head. Quality was again quite notable, with some excellent heavy and extra heavy categories yarded. The usual buying group operated strongly across all classes, with the market trending dearer.
Mutton numbers declined 58%, to 2,998 head. Buyers operated keenly, with light and medium weight categories improving week-on-week
- Light weight 3 score old lambs were up 47¢, averaging 611¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 4 score old lambs averaged 603¢, up 18¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old lambs finished 20¢ dearer, on 606¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score old lambs were up 43¢, 588¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score first-cross ewes eased 4¢, 322¢/kg cwt
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator decreased 3¢ on where it finished the previous day, on 564¢/kg cwt
- Merino lambs were up 8¢, at 523¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs were up 10¢, at 559¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs were up 8¢, on 567¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs were up 9¢, on 575¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator finished 1¢ higher at 366¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?