Wednesday daily cattle summary
13 April 2016
Throughput at Roma Store increased 6% this week, to 4,778 head. Quality was notably mixed, with cattle drawn from across both southern and northern regions. Most of the usual buyers were in operation, with fewer restocker buyers active in the market, resulting in lighter yearling lines trending cheaper.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers averaged 327¢, back 5¢, while Medium C3 lines to feed were 2¢ dearer, averaging 297¢/kg
- Medium D3 yearling heifers to feed were 6¢ lower, averaging 265¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to processors averaged 212¢, back 11¢/kg
CTLX consignments increased 2%, to 3,910 head. Yarding quality was fair, with trade vealers in good supply. A strong percentage of yearling steers to feed were seen across the penning, with those suitable for the trade selling to an easier trend week-on-week.
- Light C2 vealer steers to restockers averaged 304¢, back 16¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to feed averaged 306¢, back 10¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to processors eased 20¢, averaging 186¢, while heavy D4 lines to the same order were 15¢ lower, averaging 206¢/kg
Numbers at NVLX Wodonga increased 28%, to 1,955 head. Quality was plainer across all categories, with only a limited supply of well-finished supplementary fed lines. Not all buyers operated fully, with grown steers and bullocks lesser in numbers and the market cheaper week-on-week.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 308¢, up 2¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling feeder heifers were 2¢ dearer, averaging 294¢/kg
- Heavy C3 bullocks to processors eased 7¢, averaging 286¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished on 556.75¢, decreasing 3.50¢/kg on where it finished the previous day.
- Trade steers were back 3¢, to 305¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 5¢, on 288¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 1¢, at 282¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were back 6¢, on 203¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were back 1¢, on 300¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?