Industry Fast Facts released
14 November 2019
- 2019 beef and sheepmeat industry fast facts released
- Domestic expenditure on beef was approximately $8.76 billion in 2018-19 (ABS, MLA estimate)
- Domestic expenditure on lamb was approximately $2.6 billion and mutton $51 million on in 2018-19 (MLA estimate).
MLA’s Market Information team have released their annual beef and sheepmeat industry Fast Facts, providing a concise snapshot of key statistics – including herd and flock size, production, value, consumption, exports and Australia’s position relative to other countries.
Highlights from the Beef Fast Facts include:
- In 2018-19, Australia produced approximately 2.35 million tonnes carcase weight (cwt) of beef and veal (ABS).
- In 2018-19, 3.14 million grainfed cattle were turned off, representing approximately 38% of all cattle slaughtered.
- In 2018-19, Australia exported 72% of its total beef and veal production to over 70 countries (DA, ABS). These exports generated $9.5 billion (IHS Markit).
Highlights from the Sheepmeat Fast Facts include:
- In 2018-19, Australia produced almost 501,000 tonnes cwt of lamb and 230,000 tonnes cwt of mutton (ABS).
- In 2018-19, Australia exported 66% of total Australian lamb production and 96% of total mutton production (DA, ABS).
- Australia is the largest exporter of sheepmeat in the world (DA, IHS Markit, Comtrade)
View the complete Fast Facts.
© Meat & Livestock Australia Limited, 2019