Friday daily cattle summary
01 July 2016
Throughput at Roma Prime decreased 14% this week, to 852 head. Cows were well represented, with a smaller selection of heavy grown steers and bullocks penned. Export and slaughter buyers were in attendance, along with those from southern regions, with the market holding firm to easier overall.
- Heavy C4 grown steers to processors gained 5¢, averaging 316¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown heifers to slaughter averaged 276¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors averaged 257¢, back 9¢/kg
Cattle numbers at Dubbo increased substantially week-on-week, yarding 2,145 head. Yearling categories made up the bulk of the yarding, with a few notable lines of supplementary fed cattle penned. British bred numbers lifted, resulting in a dearer trend, with not all buyers operating and the market mixed overall.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 12¢ higher, on 365¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to processors were back 6¢, averaging 332¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to slaughter averaged 253¢, back 9¢/kg
Bairnsdale consignments increased 34%, to 969 head. Export cattle made up the majority of the yarding, with the usual buying group operating in a cheaper market. Quality declined on last week, with a larger proportion penned lacking finish.
- Heavy D3 yearling heifers to processors eased 5¢, averaging 316¢/kg
- Medium D3 grown steers to slaughter jumped 4¢, averaging 335¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows to the same orders averaged 5¢ lower, at 264¢/kg
At the close of Thursday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 659.25¢, up 0.75¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were back 1¢, on 350¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were firm, on 334¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were firm, at 332¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were back 2¢, at 253¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 2¢, to 361¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?