Friday daily cattle summary
03 June 2016
Cattle numbers at Roma Prime increased marginally this week, yarding 920 head. Strong processor buyer competition set the platform for the market, with prime cattle conditions settling dearer as a result. Tighter supplies and scattered rainfall across western areas saw good export processor demand, with quality fair to good across all classes.
- Heavy C4 grown steers to processors averaged 289¢, up 3¢/kg
- Light D4 grown heifers to slaughter finished 8¢ dearer, averaging 275¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors averaged 245¢, up 11¢/kg
Throughput at Dubbo increased 37%, to 2,335 head. Quality was good across the yarding, with a hefty selection of prime cattle on offer throughout all sections, along with a few pens of plainer types in from the far west.
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to feed averaged 17¢ higher, at 338¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling feeder heifers were back 4¢, averaging 304¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter jumped 4¢, averaging 235¢/kg
Consignments at Bairnsdale increased 5%, to 1,203 head. Export cattle dominated the yarding, with the usual buying group present and active in what was a dearer market overall. Quality was good, with trade weights well supplied, along with a fair selection of grown steers and bullocks.
- Heavy D3 yearling heifers to processors averaged 297¢, up 14¢/kg
- Heavy D3 grown steers to slaughter were up 7¢, averaging 305¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows to the same orders finished 6¢ higher, averaging 241¢/kg
At the close of Thursday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 582.75¢, up 0.75¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were steady, on 321¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 1¢, on 297¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers held firm, on 292¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 1¢, on 221¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 1¢, on 320¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?