Friday daily cattle summary
08 July 2016
Throughput at Roma Prime increased 46% this week, to 1,245 head. Good quality heavy cows were well represented, along with a fair selection of heavy grown cattle. All major processors operated, with the inclusion of some additional buyers from interstate and most categories improving week-on-week.
- Heavy C4 grown steers to processors averaged 10¢ higher, at 326¢/kg
- Heavy C4 bullocks to processors were up 14¢, averaging 330¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter jumped 16¢, averaging 273¢/kg
Consignments at Dubbo decreased 24%, to 1,635 head. Prime conditioned young cattle were in tight supply, although there was a fair selection to suit feeder and restocker orders. Well-finished grown steers and cows were in good supply, however rainfall had a notable effect on overall yardings.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 2¢ higher, at 367¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers to processors were back 8¢, to 325¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter eased 9¢, averaging 257¢/kg
Bairnsdale cattle numbers declined 64%, to 346 head. Export lines made up the majority of the offering, with heavy flood water across the supply area affecting overall yardings. Not all buyers operated in the solid market, with a good amount of quality and competition strong on prime cattle sections.
- Heavy D3 yearling heifers to slaughter were up 9¢, averaging 325¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors averaged 6¢ higher, at 343¢/kg
- Medium E1 dairy cows were back 2¢, averaging 184¢/kg
At the close of Thursday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 658.25¢/kg cwt, hold firm on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were up 1¢, on 345¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 2¢, on 329¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were back 3¢, on 328¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were back 2¢, at 242¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were firm, on 358¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?