Friday daily cattle summary
10 June 2016
Consignments at Roma Prime declined 71% this week, to just 263 head. In what was the lowest yarding so far this year, finished cattle were in short supply. A full panel of buyers attended the sale, with all categories settling dearer.
- Heavy C4 grown steers to processors settled 2¢ dearer, averaging 291¢/kg
- Heavy D4 grown heifers to slaughter were up 2¢, to 279¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to the same orders jumped 15¢, to 244¢/kg
Cattle numbers at Dubbo decreased 41%, to 1,389 head. Quality was good, with rain across the supply area resulting in a smaller yarding week-on-week. Well finished yearlings were well represented, with processors keen to secure orders and feeder buyers active on most young cattle lines.
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to feed averaged 362¢, up 25¢/kg
- Light D2 yearling heifers to restockers averaged 316¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows to processors gained 40¢, to 252¢/kg
Throughput at Bairnsdale declined 24%, to 912 head. Export cattle made up the majority of the yarding, with the usual buying group competing in a dearer market overall. Quality was mixed, with a very good offering of trade cattle penned.
- Heavy C3 vealer steers to processors gained 13¢, to 333¢/kg
- Heavy D3 yearling heifers averaged 305¢, up 8¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to slaughter eased 5¢, to 314¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows to processors jumped 4¢, to 245¢/kg
At the close of Thursday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 596¢, up 2.75¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were firm, on 321¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 4¢, to 320¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 1¢, on 298¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 5¢, on 229¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 1¢, on 328¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?