Friday daily cattle summary
21 October 2016
Numbers at Roma Prime sale lifted to 1,138 head and consisted predominantly of cows and a few lines of good quality bullocks and grown heifers. Both Queensland and NSW processor buyers were more selective when purchasing cattle, with prices falling across all categories of grown steers, bullocks, and cows. Grown heifers sold well with solid competition from NSW processors.
- Medium weight C4 grown steers to slaughter eased 6¢, averaging 291¢, while heavy weights eased 14¢ to average 284¢/kg
- Heavy D4 grown heifers to slaughter were 5¢ cheaper on 377¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows sold to processors 13¢ easier on 240¢/kg
Consignments to Dubbo eased 18% to 5,050 head. Whilst there was a good representation of prime cattle in all sections the overall quality of the yarding was not to the standard of the previous sale. Not all the regular buyers were operating in what was a cheaper market.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed eased 4¢ to average 361¢/kg
- Heavy weight C3 yearling steers to feed were 1¢ cheaper on 355¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to feeders were back 21¢ cheaper on 318¢/kg
- Heavy weight D4 cows to processors were back 18¢ on 243¢/kg
The yarding at Bairnsdale decreased to 640 head and consisted mostly of export cattle. Despite an additional processor competing ad quality improving in the grown steers and bullocks, prices eased.
- Medium weight C3 grown steers to slaughter slipped 7¢ to average 328¢/kg
- Medium weight E1 dairy cows were 20¢ easier, averaging 190¢/kg
- Heavy D2 cows to processors were back 9¢ to 240¢/kg
At the close of Thursday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled on 679.75¢, down 1.25¢/kg cwt from where it was the previous day
- Trade steers were back 3¢, on 356¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers lifted 3¢, on 316¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers slipped 7¢, on 310¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows eased 3¢,on 237¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers finished 1¢ easier, on 365¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?