Friday daily cattle summary
15 July 2016
Throughput at Roma Prime declined 13% this week, to 1,087 head. Bullocks and heavy cows in good condition were well-supplied. The usual panel of buyers operated in a generally firmer market, however with one major exporter absent.
- Heavy C4 grown steers to processors eased 10¢, averaging 316¢/kg
- Heavy C4 bullocks to slaughter sold to 328¢, averaging 319¢, back 12¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors averaged 8¢ lower, at 266¢/kg
Consignments at Dubbo increased 24%, to 2,360 head. Quality was fair overall, with a good selection of trade and heavy weight cattle penned. Condition throughout cow sections slipped, however with the exception of one northern feeder operator, most buyers were active throughout the sale.
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to feed eased 4¢, averaging 366¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to processors averaged 14¢ lower, on 323¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter settled 1¢ lower, averaging 256¢/kg
Bairnsdale cattle numbers increased significantly this week, yarding 868 head. Export lines made up the bulk of the yarding, with flood damaged roads re-opened resulting in greater supply. The usual buying group competed strongly with another domestic processor, and quality improved across most categories.
- Heavy D3 yearling heifers to slaughter gained 16¢, averaging 340¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors jumped 2¢, averaging 345¢/kg
- Medium E1 cows to the same orders were 20¢ dearer, averaging 204¢/kg
At the close of Thursday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 656¢, back 0.25¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were firm, on 350¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 1¢, on 337¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were firm, on 325¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 1¢, on 246¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were back 1¢, on 359¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?