Friday daily cattle summary
11 September 2015
Roma numbers increased 26%, to 828 head. Quality overall was mixed with some good lines of heavy steers and bullocks. The usual exporters were in attendance and operated in a generally dearer market. Heavy grown steers to export slaughter sold to a dearer trend, which also flowed onto cow classes.
- Medium C3 grown steers to slaughter were up 2¢, averaging 276¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers improved 14¢, averaging 299¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown heifers held steady, averaging 284¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows jumped 8¢, averaging 261¢/kg
Throughput at Dubbo increased 7% week-on-week to 5,500 head. It was a good quality yarding with a strong offering overall. The usual buyers operated and the market was notably competitive for young light weight cattle returning to the paddock.
- Heavy C3 yearling feeder steers eased 1¢, averaging 331¢/kg
- Medium C3 yearling heifers to the trade jumped 8¢, averaging 319¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers to slaughter were down 6¢, averaging 323¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows dropped 1¢, averaging 261¢/kg
Numbers were up 6% week-on-week at Bairnsdale, with 591 head offered. It was a mixed quality yarding with finished prime cattle in short supply. The limited selection of lighter weight grown steers and bullocks held steady. The usual buying group was present and operating in a generally firm market.
- Medium D2 yearling feeder heifers eased 7¢, averaging 268¢/kg
- Heavy D3 grown steers held steady, averaging 312¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows to slaughter jumped 3¢, averaging 262¢/kg
- Medium E1 dairy cows were up 17¢, averaging 197¢/kg
At the close of Thursday markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled at 584.50¢, up 2.00¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers averaged 322¢, up 1¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers averaged 318¢/kg lwt, steady
- Medium steers averaged 303¢, back 2¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 309¢/kg, down 2¢kg lwt
- Medium cows averaged 241¢/kg, up 1¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?