Friday daily cattle summary
22 July 2016
Cattle throughput at Armidale increased 4% this week, to 756 head. Younger light weights made up the bulk of the offering, with a limited supply of medium and heavy weight cattle on offer. Quality was notably mixed, and the usual processor and feedlot buyers operated, with restocker demand strengthening particularly.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers averaged 5¢ lower, at 378¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers were up 12¢, averaging 379¢/kg
- Light D2 yearling heifers to restockers averaged 12¢ higher, at 323¢/kg
Throughput at Dubbo declined 43%, to 1,342 head. Heavy rainfall across the supply region saw numbers tighten, with quality varying across all categories. Yearlings were well represented, and prime cattle were in short supply. Not all the usual buyers operated in the dearer market, with cows selling to strong competition.
- Medium D2 vealer steers to restockers averaged 405¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed gained 17¢, averaging 380¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors were up 10¢, averaging 266¢/kg
Bairnsdale consignments decreased 79%, to 685 head. Export cattle made up the majority of the yarding, with the buying group operating in a mixed market. Quality declined, and prime drafts were limited, with prices reflective of this throughout some categories.
- Medium D2 yearling heifers to feed averaged 283¢/kg
- Heavy C4 bullocks averaged 16¢ higher, at 358¢/kg
- Medium E1 dairy cows were back 17¢, averaging 186¢/kg
At the close of Thursday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 661.75¢, up 2¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were up 1¢, on 357¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 4¢, on 347¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 5¢, on 334¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 3¢, on 251¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 2¢, to 366¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?