Friday daily cattle summary
07 August 2015
Throughput at Roma Prime increased 17%, to 1,195 head, and quality also improved. With a full filed of export buyers operating, the grown steers, grown heifers and bullocks sold to strong demand, up 1-10¢/kg, but good heavy 4 score cows sold to a slightly cheaper trend.
- Heavy C3 grown steers averaged 257¢, up 12¢/kg
- Medium D4 grown heifers averaged 257¢, up 5¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows averaged 243¢, back 1¢, and sold to a top of 251¢/kg
- Heavy C3 bulls made 255¢/kg, on average, up 6¢/kg
Dubbo yarded 5,175 head, up 15% week-on-week, but quality was mixed, with good runs of well finished young and grown cattle but also a fair portion of plainer types lacking quality and finish. One feedlot buyer was absent from the panel and prices averaged either side of firm.
- Heavy C3 yearling feeder steers averaged 317¢, back 6¢/kg
- The same weight and condition yearling steer lines to the trade made 336¢, up 11¢/kg
- While the heavy C3 yearling females to the trade averaged 320¢, also up 11¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers to slaughter improved 7¢, to average 338¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows averaged 238¢, up 1¢/kg
The small yarding at Bairnsdale declined again this week, with 603 head of mostly export type cattle offered. Cattle continued to show the effects to winter but competition remained strong from processors, feeder buyers and restockers.
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to feeder buyers improved 11¢, to average 292¢
- Heavy D3 grown steers made 332¢, on average, up 5¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows improved 13¢, to average 290¢/kg
At the close of Thursday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished at 565.50¢/kg cwt, steady on where it averaged the previous day
- Trade steers averaged 332¢, up 2¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers averaged 309¢, back 1¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers averaged 302¢, back 6¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 316¢, up 2¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows averaged 233¢, up 1¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA’s National Livestock Reporting Service (NLRS) reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?