Friday daily cattle summary
04 November 2016
This week at Roma Prime, cattle numbers declined 37% to 514 head. Cows were well represented, with a handful of bullocks on offer. Cattle were drawn from both local and south western regions, with better quality bullocks attracting strong processor competition.
- Heavy C4 bullocks to slaughter were up 4¢, averaging 295¢/kg
- Light D4 grown heifers to processors were back 5¢, averaging 276¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to processors eased 1¢, averaging 235¢/kg
Dubbo consignments decreased 1%, to 4,515 head. Another good quality yarding were on offer this week, with a notable selection of prime conditioned cattle seen across all sections. Condition throughout young cattle sections lowered on the previous sale, and most trade lines finished firm to marginally cheaper.
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to feed were back 3¢, averaging 351¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to feed lowered 22¢, averaging 326¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers to processors gained 6¢, averaging 306¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter were up 2¢, averaging 242¢/kg
Throughput at Bairnsdale increased 68%, to 572 head. The usual buying group operated in a generally firm market, along with the inclusion of an additional exporter. Quality improved, and a greater offering of prime cattle were penned, with trade cattle selling firm to slightly dearer depending on condition.
- Heavy D3 yearling heifers to processors were back 9¢, averaging 306¢/kg
- Heavy C4 bullocks to the same order were up 2¢, averaging 313¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows to slaughter finished 1¢ dearer, averaging 248¢/kg
At the close of Thursday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished at 658.75¢, down 2¢/kg cwt from where it settled the previous day
- Trade steers held firm on 345¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 2¢, on 304¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers finished 1¢ dearer, at 300¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows held steadyon 231¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers settled 2¢ lower, at 355¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?