Friday daily cattle summary
18 November 2016
This week at Roma Prime, cattle supplies declined 25% to 472 head. The usual buyers were operating, with extra processors from NSW in attendance, operating sporadically as the sale progressed. Quality varied from fair to good across prime cattle sections, and prices trended marginally dearer for bullock and cow lines.
- Heavy C4 grown steers to processors were up 6¢, to 297¢/kg
- Light D4 grown heifers to slaughter eased 4¢, averaging 274¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to the same orders gained 3¢, to 235¢/kg
Dubbo cattle throughput increased 77%, to 5,250 head. It was a good quality yarding this week, with yearling lines well supplied and most in good condition. A few drafts of some very well finished bullocks and cows were also on offer, with most consignments sourced from far western regions.
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to feed were back 17¢, averaging 334¢/kg
- Medium C3 yearling heifers to feed averaged 8¢ lower, at 317¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers to processors eased 11¢, averaging 302¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter were back 1¢, averaging 242¢/kg
Cattle numbers at Bairnsdale decreased 8%, to 587 head. The usual buying group operated in a much cheaper market this week, with quality mixed and prices varying throughout all sections. Trade lines sold to strong demand, while grown cattle held mostly firm and cows similarly, however easier in parts.
- Heavy D3 yearling heifers to slaughter were up 8¢, averaging 312¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors were back 8¢, to 310¢/kg
- Medium D1 cows to the same orders eased 9¢, averaging 204¢/kg
At the close of Thursday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled at 648.75¢, back 1.75¢/kg cwt from where it settled the previous day
- Trade steers held firm on 334¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 6¢, on 298¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers held steady at 299¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 1¢, at 233¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers finished 1¢ dearer on 353¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?