Friday daily cattle summary
25 November 2016
This week at Roma Prime, cattle throughput increased 96% - to 924 head. Quality across the offering of bullocks and grown heifers lifted on the previous sale and trended dearer as a result, with increased processor competition from NSW resulting in similar conditions for cows - also finishing stronger.
- Heavy C4 bullocks to processors were up 7¢, averaging 303¢/kg
- Light D4 grown heifers to slaughter gained 6¢, averaging 280¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to the same orders finished 1¢ stronger, at 247¢/kg
Dubbo consignments declined 12%, to 4,600 head. A fair to good quality yarding of cattle were on offer this week, with a notable selection of prime cattle penned. Those sourced from far western regions were also well represented, with all the usual buyers present and operating in a mixed market.
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to processors eased 1¢, averaging 333¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to slaughter were back 5¢, averaging 302¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers to processors gained 1¢, to 303¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to the same orders finished 4¢ dearer, averaging 246¢/kg
Cattle numbers at Bairnsdale decreased marginally this week, to 584 head. Those suitable to export dominated the yarding, with the usual buying group present, however not all operating fully in a dearer market. Quality varied across all categories, as younger trade sections sold to a cheaper trend due to a lack of condition.
- Heavy C3 grown steers to slaughter were up 8¢, averaging 318¢/kg
- Medium E1 dairy cows sold to 216¢, averaging 198¢, up 8¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows to processors sold to 265¢, averaging 251¢, up 11¢/kg
At the close of Thursday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished on 644.50¢, back 0.75¢/kg cwt from where it settled the previous day
- Trade steers held firm on 339¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers eased 4¢, on 298¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were steady, at 300¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows remained unchanged on 235¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers settled 3¢ lower, at 351¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?