Friday daily cattle summary
09 December 2016
Cattle throughput at Roma Prime increased 22%, to 779 head. Good quality numbers of locally sourced grown cattle were on offer this week, with cows also well supplied. Processors bid keenly throughout the sale, while additional demand from NSW based buyers provided strong competition for cow sections – resulting in a dearer average trend.
- Heavy C4 bullocks to processors eased 1¢, averaging 305¢/kg
- Light D4 grown heifers to slaughter gained 15¢, averaging 292¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to the same orders were up 6¢, averaging 256¢/kg
Dubbo cattle numbers increased 3%, to 5,070 head. A relatively good quality yarding were penned this week, with some top runs of well finished cows and bullocks on offer. Most of the usual buying group were operating, with trade weight sections particularly well supplied.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feeder buyers eased 3¢, averaging 326¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling feeder heifers finished 4¢ lower, averaging 294¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors were up 13¢, at 291¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to slaughter sold to 218¢, averaging 209¢, back 3¢/kg
Consignments at Bairnsdale lifted 35%, to 923 head. The usual array of buyers were present this week, with an easier trend underlining the sale. Quality varied across all categories, with trade sections and most grown cattle drafts finishing cheaper, while some leaner cow grades sold marginally dearer.
- Heavy D3 yearling heifers to processors slipped 8¢, averaging 290¢/kg
- Light D3 grown heifers to slaughter eased 16¢, averaging 273¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows to the same orders were back 8¢, averaging 238¢/kg
At the close of Thursday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled 3¢ lower on where it had finished the previous day, at 638.25¢/kg cwt
- Trade steers held firm on 342¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 2¢, at 292¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers jumped 3¢, to 298¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows held steady on 233¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers slipped 2¢, to 345¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?