Friday daily cattle summary
16 December 2016
This week at Dubbo, cattle numbers declined considerably in what was the last sale for the year. A much plainer offering was penned, with cattle in prime condition very limited across all sections. Younger lines to the trade finished marginally cheaper, while similar drafts to feeder buyers held mostly firm.
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to processors eased 2¢ - averaging 324¢/kg
- Medium C3 yearling heifers to slaughter were back 17¢ - averaging 298¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to the same orders slipped 12¢ - averaging 227¢/kg
Throughput at Bairnsdale declined 64%, to 331 head. The usual buying group operated in a mixed market this week, with quality limited and resulting in strong competition for prime lots. The limited bunch of trade cattle sold dearer and grown steers followed a similar trend, while categories finished marginally cheaper.
- Heavy D3 yearling heifers to slaughter finished 10¢ dearer – averaging 299¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors were up 11¢ - averaging 308¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows to the same orders slipped 6¢ - averaging 232¢/kg
Over in the west, cattle numbers at Mount Barker increased 14% to 2,855 head. A greater offering was penned this week, with good quality veal making up the majority and prices holding firm on the previous sale for most categories.
- Heavy C3 vealer steers to feed were back 1¢ - averaging 337¢/kg
- Medium C3 vealer heifers to restockers reached 345¢, averaging 325¢ - back 3¢/kg
- Heavy C3 vealer feeder heifers averaged 3¢ dearer – at 324¢/kg
At the close of Thursday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished 2¢ dearer on where it had finished the previous day, at 634.50¢/kg cwt
- Trade steers slipped 3¢, to 326¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 2¢, to 294¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 1¢ , on 294¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were back 4¢, on 220¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers gained 2¢, at 345¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?