Friday daily cattle summary
24 February 2017
This week at Roma Prime, cattle numbers declined 43% to 678 head. The usual buyers welcomed the cooler conditions after what has been a fortnight since the last sale – with cattle supplied from as far as Tambo. The market generally trended cheaper overall, with some older drafts the exception.
- Heavy C4 yearling heifers to processors reached 271¢, averaging 269¢/kg
- Heavy B4 bullocks to slaughter averaged 284¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to the same orders were back 7¢, averaging 233¢/kg
Consignments at Dubbo increased 22%, to 3,910 head. It was a fair to good quality yarding this week, with a notable selection of prime cattle represented throughout most sections. Not all the regular buyers were in attendance, with the absence of one particular feeder order adding to the cheaper trend.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feeder slipped 29¢, averaging 311¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling feeder heifers sold to 305¢, averaging 296¢, back 13¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers to processors were back 2¢, averaging 292¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter eased 5¢, averaging 226¢/kg
Throughput at Bairnsdale lifted 48%, to 894 head. A full field of buyers were present and operated in an easier market this week, with quality varying across most sections. A select few drafts of well finished vealers improved marginally, while yearling lines to the trade held firm and processors bidding selectively overall.
- Heavy D3 yearling heifers to slaughter averaged 300¢, back 3¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors were back 7¢, averaging 313¢/kg
- Medium E1 cows to restockers gained 7¢, averaging 197¢/kg
At the close of Thursday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 622¢, declining 4¢/kg cwt on where it had finished the previous day
- Trade steers were back 1¢, averaging 327¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers averaged 288¢, up 1¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 291¢/kg lwt, holding firm
- Medium cows were back 1¢, at 222¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers averaged 334¢, back 1¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?