Friday daily cattle summary
10 March 2017
This week at Roma Prime, cattle numbers declined 47% to just 359 head. All the usual buyers operated in a significantly smaller offering, with the cow market trending cheaper overall. Quality was mixed, with scattered showers across the region causing some producers to withhold stock.
- Heavy C4 yearling heifers to processors gained 21¢, averaging 251¢/kg
- Light D3 cows to processors were back 18¢, averaging 202¢/kg
- Medium D4 cows to slaughter slipped 9¢, to 222¢/kg
Dubbo cattle throughput declined 26%, to 2,415 head. A fairly good quality yarding was on offer this week, with a notable selection of younger cattle to suit both feeder and processor buyers. The absence of one major feeder operator was made up with an additional order from the East, with most medium and heavy weight feeder types selling dearer.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed slipped 6¢, averaging 324¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers to slaughter averaged 9¢ dearer, averaging 300¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors were up 2¢, averaging 228¢/kg
Consignments at Bairnsdale increased 7%, to 919 head. The usual buying group operated more selectively in a firmer market this week, with quality throughout the older cattle sections declining off the back of a lack of finish. Vealers sold dearer in places, with grown steers and bullocks were mostly firm.
- Heavy D3 yearling heifers to processors gained 4¢, averaging 304¢/kg
- Heavy D3 grown steers to slaughter finished 2¢ dearer, at 303¢/kg
- Medium E1 cows to slaughter were up 27¢, to 185¢/kg
At the close of Thursday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 614.25¢/kg cwt, holding firm on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers gained 1¢, averaging 328¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers averaged 285¢, up 1¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 295¢, up 5¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows averaged 215¢, back 2¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers averaged 327¢, back 1¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?