Friday daily cattle summary
05 August 2016
At Emerald this week, cattle yardings declined 31% to 1,363 head. Quality was good, with competition strong for all feeder and restocker types and a bigger offering of bullocks penned overall. All the usual buyers operated, with western restockers particularly active throughout the sale.
- Medium D2 vealer steers to restockers were up 1¢, averaging 367¢/kg
- Medium D2 heifers to restockers averaged 353¢/kg
- Heavy C4 bullocks to processors gained 2¢, averaging 310¢/kg
Consignments at Dubbo decreased 45%, to 1,610 head. Substantial rainfall across the supply area saw numbers slip this week, with quality remaining firm and a fair selection of prime cattle on offer. Large numbers from far western regions were penned, consisting mainly of yearlings and cows, with most in good condition.
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to processors were back 3¢, averaging 387¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to slaughter averaged 358¢, up 9¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to the same orders eased 3¢, averaging 271¢/kg
Throughput at Bairnsdale increased 62% this week, to 596 head. The usual buying group operated in a mixed market, with quality varying across all categories. Prime cattle were short in supply, with a few drafts of butcher suitable vealer lines trending dearer.
- Heavy D3 yearling heifers to slaughter eased 3¢, averaging 324¢/kg
- Heavy D3 grown steers to processors averaged 6¢ higher, averaging 355¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to the same orders sold to 300¢, averaging 286¢, up 6¢/kg
At the close of Thursday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 692.25¢, up 0.25¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were up 1¢, to 373¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 7¢, on 338¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 7¢, to 347¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were back 1¢, on 253¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were firm, on 378¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?