Friday daily cattle summary
26 August 2016
This week at Emerald, cattle supply declined 57% to 1,022 head. Scattered showers saw numbers subdued, with all the regular buyers present. Prices remained unchanged to slightly easier across all categories, and a good offering of cows penned suitable for processors.
- Medium D2 vealer heifers to feed averaged 344¢/kg
- Heavy C4 bullocks to processors eased 1¢, averaging 293¢/kg
- Medium D4 cows to slaughter were back 4¢, averaging 236¢/kg
Throughput at Dubbo declined 54%, to 2,430 head. It was a good quality yarding this week, with a notable selection of prime cattle on offer across all sections. Consignments from the far west were limited, with young cattle to the trade trending dearer overall.
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to feed gained 10¢, averaging 389¢/kg
- Medium C3 yearling heifers to feed eased 4¢, averaging 372¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers to processors sold to 367¢, averaging 344¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter were up 1¢, averaging 280¢/kg
Consignments at Bairnsdale increased 5% this week, to 562 head. Export cattle were well supplied, with a full field of buyers present and active in a generally firm to dearer market overall. Quality slipped week-on-week, with a large proportion of grown cattle lacking finish.
- Heavy D3 yearling heifers to processors eased 3¢, averaging 337¢/kg
- Heavy D3 grown steers to slaughter gained 24¢, averaging 348¢/kg
- Medium E1 cows to restockers were up 11¢, averaging 215¢/kg
At the close of Thursday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished at 707.75¢, up 0.50¢ on where it had finished the previous day
- Trade steers were up 2¢, on 374¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 6¢, to 330¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 4¢, to 335¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 2¢, on 255¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were back 2¢, on 383¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?