Friday daily cattle summary
16 September 2016
Cattle consignments at Roma Prime decreased 51%, to 260 head. Widespread rainfall saw numbers reduced significantly this week, with cows dominating the yarding. Heifers were also well represented, with quality fairly good and a dearer trend underlining the sale.
- Heavy C4 bullocks to processors averaged 303¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to slaughter were up 6¢, averaging 258¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to the same orders gained 5¢, averaging 268¢/kg
Dubbo cattle throughput declined 41%, to 1,380 head. Wet conditions continued to have an effect on availability this week, with young cattle making up the majority of the yarding. Good conditioned heifers were well supplied, however not all the regular buyers operated.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed were back 1¢, averaging 377¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to feed averaged 8¢ dearer, at 356¢/kg
- Light C4 grown heifers to processors eased 3¢, averaging 335¢/kg
This week at Bairnsdale, cattle numbers increased 11% to 716 head. Export sections were well supplied, and the usual buying group were active in a stronger market. Quality declined on last week’s levels, with a larger proportion lacking finish.
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to feed averaged 365¢, back 5¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors were up 9¢, averaging 359¢/kg
- Medium E1 dairy cows gained 12¢, averaging 218¢/kg
At the close of Thursday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled on 713¢/kg cwt, holding firm on where it had finished the previous day
- Trade steers lifted 1¢ to 379¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers gained 2¢, to 350¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 1¢, on 343¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 1¢, to 257¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were back 1¢, on 376¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?