Goat market moves from strength-to-strength
06 June 2017
The strength of the goat market continued to grow In May. Over-the-hook goat indicators averaged 657¢ (12-16kg cwt) for the month – up 9¢ from April and 111¢/kg cwt year-on-year.
Average weekly eastern states goat slaughter showed no signs of slowing during the month, lifting 34% year-on-year to 23,798 head. On a state-by-state basis:
- NSW average weekly goat slaughter decreased by more than half to 1,486 head year-on-year
- Queensland slaughter lifted around 1,000 head, to 7,035 head
- SA slaughter increased close to 2,000 head, to 5,884 head
- Victorian goat slaughter doubled in May, to average 9,393 head per week
Australian goatmeat exports totalled 2,626 tonnes swt in May, up 36% year-on-year (DAWR). This brings the 2017-to-date total to 15,580 tonnes swt – 18% higher than the same period in 2016. Goatmeat exports to all major destinations increased during May:
- Shipments to the US increased 31% year-on-year, to 1,711 tonnes swt
- Volumes to Taiwan lifted 37%, to 298 tonnes swt
- Exports to Korea have doubled year-on-year, to 256 tonnes swt
- Volumes to the Caribbean lifted 33%, to 149 tonnes swt
- Exports to Canada increased 70%, to 129 tonnes swt
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?