Beef and sheep Fast Facts released
03 October 2018
MLA recently released the annual Australian beef and sheep industry Fast Facts, which provide brief snapshots of key industry statistics – including herd and flock size, production, value, consumption, exports and Australia’s position relative to other countries.
Some highlights from this year’s beef edition include:
- In 2017–18, Australia produced 2.24 million tonnes carcase weight (cwt) of beef and veal (ABS).
- In 2017–18, Australia exported 1.1 million tonnes of beef and veal to over 78 countries, 71% of total production (ABS, DAWR). These exports generated $8 billion (IHS Markit, Global Trade Atlas).
- Australia was the world’s third largest beef and veal exporter in 2017, after India and Brazil (DAWR, IHS Markit, Global Trade Atlas).
From the sheep edition:
- The Australian sheep flock was 72.1 million head at 30 June 2017 (ABS).
- In 2017–18, Australia produced almost 532,000 tonnes carcase weight (cwt) of lamb and 204,000 tonnes cwt of mutton (ABS).
- In 2017–18, Australia exported 61% of total Australian lamb production and 96% of total Australian mutton production (DAWR, ABS).
- Australia was the largest exporter of sheepmeat in the world in 2017 (DAWR, IHS Markit, Global Trade Atlas, Comtrade).
View the MLA Fast Facts here.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?