Movement in the ranks in Victoria
19 October 2017
According to the results of MLA’s annual saleyard survey, a total of 991,459 cattle were consigned to Victorian saleyards over the 2016-17 financial year. NVLX Wodonga maintained its position of the largest selling centre in the state, yarding 184,588 head, while Leongatha totalled 127,914 head, placing it in second position.
Numbers at Warrnambool reached 108,557 head for the year, lifting it from fourth to third and replacing Pakenham, which slipped to fourth with a total of 96,879 head. Throughput at Shepparton equated to 96,662 head, ranking it in fifth position.
The balance of the top ten included;
- Bairnsdale – sixth – totalling 61,454 head
- Ballarat – seventh – recording a throughput of 49,081 head
- Camperdown – eighth – easing one position from last year with 42,047 head
- Sale – ninth – with a throughput of 32,000 head, lifting it from twelfth in 2015-16
- Echuca – tenth – with consignments totalling 31,875 head
To view the full cattle saleyard survey results, please click here.
Victorian sheep saleyard throughput for 2016-17 totalled 4.6 million head. Ballarat remained the state’s largest selling centre, yarding a total of 1.3 million head for the year. Second and third positions traded places from in 2015-16, with the yarding at Hamilton surpassing Bendigo, totalling 1 million head and 877,445 head, respectively.
There were 437,305 head consigned at Horsham, which ranked fourth, while Ouyen placed fifth, with 267,325 head.
The remainder of the top ten Victorian selling centres consisted of;
- Swan Hill – sixth – retaining its position from 2015-16 with 213,919 head
- Warracknabeal – seventh – yarding 105,349 head for the year
- Shepparton – eighth – reporting a throughput of 96,765 head
- Wycheproof – ninth – falling one position from last year, with 84,339 head
- Bairnsdale – tenth – recording a total throughput of 43,554 head
To view the full sheep saleyard survey results, please click here.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?