NSW weekly cattle summary
27 August 2015
Rain decreases numbers
Cattle consignments in NSW decreased by 41% week-on-week, for a total of 15,279 head.
- Wagga penned similar numbers, at 2,800 head, while Tamworth slipped by 30%, to total 1,513 cattle
- CTLX decreased by 40%, for a total of 1,200 head, while Scone penned only 447 cattle
- Inverell more than halved its total, at 550 cattle, and Gunnedah lost large numbers, for 900 head
- Singleton halved, to total 450 head, while Armidale nearly doubled its consignments, at 630 head
- Forbes lost 26%, for 1,325 cattle, while Moss Vale slipped to pen 484 head
- Casino decreased 26%, to total 1,330 head, and Dubbo slipped 42%, to pen 3,650 cattle
Lower numbers lift prices
The medium weight vealer steers returning to the paddock improved 16¢, averaging 320¢ after reaching 360¢/kg. The vealer heifers trended 7¢ to 10¢ dearer, to sell from 250¢ to 306¢/kg.
The medium and heavy weight yearling steers to the lot feeder orders sold firm to 3¢ dearer, to average from 322¢ to 325¢, with the best reaching 356¢/kg. The bulk of the unfinished yearling heifers trended marginally higher in price, making around the 290¢ to 315¢/kg range. The prime conditioned younger cattle to the butchers continued to sell at record levels, with the best reaching 373¢/kg.
The heavy weight grown steers suitable for slaughter again sold to strong competition, with the majority making from 302¢ to 329¢, with the best topping at 379¢/kg.
The plainer cows sold 5¢ dearer, with the 2 scores averaging 219¢/kg. The better finished heavier weights sold firm to 3¢ dearer, to range from 209¢ to 282¢, while heavy weight bulls reached 318¢/kg.
Note: All yardings and prices referenced from MLA’s National Livestock Reporting Service (NLRS) reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?