Thursday daily cattle summary
09 June 2016
Throughput at Dalby decreased 18% this week, to 3,809 head. Buyer attendance was good, with cow sections generating additional domestic support, and enough rain in places to lift restocker enthusiasm. Prices trended dearer across all classes, with medium weight yearling heifers to feed improving notably.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers jumped 7¢, to 333¢, while medium weights to feed averaged 320¢, up 5¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to feed averaged 289¢, up 4¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors averaged 14¢ dearer, at 257¢/kg
Cattle numbers at Casino declined 12%, to 1,557 head. Young cattle made up the bulk of the yarding, with medium and heavy weight vealer lines in good supply. Quality was fairly good, however some amongst the offering showed the effects of the wet weather of late, with competition fluctuating throughout the sale as a result.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers averaged 306¢, back 5¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to processors were back 9¢, averaging 270¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to slaughter gained 9¢, averaging 218¢/kg
Warrnambool cattle yardings decreased 11%, to 849 head. A good field of buyers were present and operated in what was a plain to good quality offering week-on-week. Demand for cow sections strengthened, with grown steer drafts holding firm and prices for young cattle varying as the sale progressed.
- Medium D1 yearling heifers to restockers averaged 270¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors jumped 3¢, averaging 311¢/kg
- Medium D1 cows to restockers jumped 40¢, averaging 225¢, while heavy D2 dairy cows finished 21¢ dearer, averaged 222¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 593.25¢, up 5¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were up 3¢, at 321¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 12¢, on 316¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 6¢, on 297¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 2¢, on 225¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 1¢, on 327¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?