Thursday daily cattle summary
07 July 2016
Consignments at Dalby declined 24% this week, to 3,851 head. Numbers were sourced from as far south as Bourke, with most of the regular buyers operating in a solid market. Young light weight cattle returning to the paddock sold to strong demand, and medium weight yearlings to feed following a similar trend.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers gained 3¢, averaging 365¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restockers averaged 1¢ higher, on 326¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors eased 5¢, averaging 274¢/kg
Casino cattle throughput increased marginally this week, yarding 2,240 head. Light and medium weight vealer lines were well supplied, along with a few pens of heavy weights. Quality varied, with a good amount of well finished cattle on offer, along with a few notable pens of well-bred steers and heifers suitable for restockers.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers averaged 342¢, back 5¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to processors were up 2¢, averaging 309¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to processors eased 2¢, averaging 251¢/kg
Warrnambool cattle numbers increased 13% this week, yarding 1,188 head. The market trended cheaper overall, with quality ranging from poor to good across all categories. The usual buyers were in attendance, with prices for young cattle and cows easing on week-ago levels.
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to processors slipped 30¢, averaging 310¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown heifers to slaughter averaged 30¢ lower, at 272¢/kg
- Medium E1 dairy cows averaged 177¢, back 34¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 658.25¢, back 1¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were up 2¢, on 344¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 15¢, on 331¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were back 2¢, on 331¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were back 3¢, at 244¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were back 1¢, to 358¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?