Thursday daily cattle summary
08 September 2016
Numbers at Dalby slipped 20% week-on-week to 2,687 head. There were some excellent runs of supplementary fed steers and heavy cows on offer which met strong competition from buyers. Light young heifers were slightly easier while yearling steers to feed were dearer.
- Medium weight C2 vealer steers to restockers gained 13¢, averaging 401¢, while similar vealer heifer lines to feed were back 20¢, to 351¢/kg
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed were 11¢ dearer, averaging 379¢/kg
- Medium D4 cows to processors were firm, averaging 263¢/kg
Consignments at Casino eased to 1,165 head. Light and medium weight vealers were well supplied, although quality throughout the yarding of young cattle was plainer. The grown section of the yarding was predominantly cows with a few pens of grown steers and heifers.
- Light D2 vealer steers to restockers were 12¢ dearer, averaging 391¢, while medium weights were 14¢ dearer and returned 391¢/kg
- Restockers purchased medium C2 vealer steers for an average of 392¢ while vealer heifers to processors were 1¢ easier on 368¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to processors gained 11¢, averaging 233¢/kg
Throughput at Warrnambool lifted by 27% week-on-week, to 1,147 head and predominantly consisted of cows and yearling heifers. Prices fluctuated around last week’s levels and comprised of plain through to good quality. The usual buyers were present and competing.
- Light E1 yearling heifers to restockers ranged between 235¢ and 321¢ ad averaged 299¢/kg
- Heavy C3 cows to slaughter gained averaged 269¢/kg
- Heavy D2 dairy cows sold to 258¢ and averaged 245¢, up 9¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled at 711.5¢/kg cwt, up 5.25¢/kg cwt on where it had finished the previous day
- Trade steers dropped 4¢ to 367¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 7¢, to 326¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 3¢, on 337¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 2¢, on 256¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 1¢, on 377¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?