Thursday daily cattle summary
12 May 2016
Throughput at Dalby increased 16% this week, to 4,480 head. Rainfall was restricted in the local supply area, however notable across other districts resulting in a dearer trend. Export buyers operated keenly, with processors and restockers providing strong competition for cows and young lightweight lines.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers averaged 316¢, back 9¢, while heavy C2 drafts to feed averaged 290¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restockers averaged 278¢, while heavy C3 feeder lines averaged 279¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers to processors were 12¢ dearer, 287¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter averaged 229¢, up 9¢/kg
Cattle numbers at Casino increased 22%, to 1,474 head. Vealer categories dominated young cattle sections, with a handful of yearlings penned. Medium weights were well supplied, with quality mixed across the offering.
- Light D2 vealer steers to restockers were up 13¢, averaging 313¢, while medium weight lines to the same orders eased 5¢, averaging 300¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to processors were 9¢ lower, averaging 266¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to processors averaged 207¢, up 16¢/kg
Consignments at Warrnambool decreased 6%, to 905 head. Rain continued in some parts of the region, resulting in a dearer trend underlining the sale. The usual buyers were present and operating, with restockers showing good interest. Heavy grown steers presented in notable condition, with cows holding firm.
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors averaged 309¢, up 17¢/kg
- Medium D1 dairy cows averaged 154¢/kg
- Heavy D1 dairy cows held firm, averaging 171¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 566¢, down 1.50¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were up 2¢, on 319¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 4¢, on 273¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 6¢, on 285¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows held firm, on 204¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were back 1¢, at 310¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?