Thursday daily cattle summary
13 October 2016
The number of stock yarded at Dalby lifted to 5,417 head, the highest level for 3 months, and included some consignments of very well bred lines of young cattle. Feeder operators and the increased number of restockers were able to absorb the increased numbers plus lift prices further especially on the light weight lines. However, export slaughter classes of heavy grown steers, bullocks and cows mostly sold to a cheaper trend.
- Light weight C2 yearling steers to restockers were 43¢ dearer, averaging 424¢/kg
- Medium weight C2 yearling steers sold to feeders for an average of 384¢, up 15¢/kg
- Light weight C2 yearling heifers to restockers were 1¢ dearer, averaging 392¢/kg
- Heavy weight D4 cows to slaughter eased 8¢ to settle on 261¢/kg
Consignments to Casino increased slightly to 1,532 head and predominantly consisted of vealers and young cattle. Quality was mixed and resulted in slaughter vealers selling at similar levels to last week while those to restockers eased.
- Medium weight C2 vealer steers to restockers eased 13¢ to average 410¢/kg
- Medium weight C2 vealer heifers to slaughter were 4¢ dearer on 387¢/kg
- Heavy weight D3 cows to slaughter were 4¢ cheaper, settling on 251¢/kg
Throughput at Leongatha increased week-on-week to 1,628 head. There was a full field of buyers present but not all were operating fully in a generally firm market for the prime drafts, while secondary cattle eased in places.
- Heavy weight D3 yearling heifers to processors dropped 12¢ to average 335¢/kg
- Heavy weight C4 grown steers to slaughter remained steady to settle on 344¢/kg
- D3 heavy manufacturing steers were 7¢ easier, averaging 317¢/kg
- Heavy weight E1 dairy cows to slaughter slipped 3¢ to average 228¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled on 712.25¢, down 0.50¢/kg cwt from where it was the previous day
- Trade steers were back 1¢, on 379¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers eased 3¢, on 334¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers slipped 3¢, on 326¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows eased 3¢,on 251¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers finished 2¢ higher, on 379¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?