Thursday daily cattle summary
14 July 2016
Cattle numbers at Dalby increased 59% this week, yarding 6,096 head. Young cattle were well represented, with a fair number of bullocks, steers and cows penned. Quality varied, however there several runs of well-bred cattle penned, suitable for restockers and feeders, and the market trended cheaper overall.
- Light C2 vealer steers to restockers averaged 344¢, while their female counterparts averaged 316¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers were back 26¢, averaging 354¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed eased 4¢, averaging 344¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to restockers slipped 5¢, averaging 231¢/kg
Throughput at Casino declined 26%, to 1,665 head. Young cattle made up the bulk of the yarding, with good supplies of light and medium weight vealers penned. Quality was mixed, with a few good drafts of well-bred cattle and those to suit restockers in notable supply.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers were back 3¢, averaging 340¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to restockers gained 7¢, averaging 320¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to processors slipped 6¢, averaging 222¢/kg
Warrnambool consignments declined 57%, to 516 head. Unfavourable weather conditions saw numbers reduced this week, with quality ranging from plain to good over most of the offering. Prices trended dearer for most categories, with young cattle improving notably week-on-week.
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors were up 24¢, averaging 351¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown heifers to slaughter averaged 47¢ higher, at 324¢/kg
- Heavy D2 cows to processors were up 9¢, averaging 219¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 656.25¢, up 0.75¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were back 2¢, on 350¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 8¢, on 336¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were back 4¢, on 325¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 4¢, on 246¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were firm, on 360¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?