Thursday daily cattle summary
16 June 2016
Consignments at Dalby increased marginally this week, yarding 3,824 head. A full panel of buyers were present and active, with prices for feeder steers and bullocks soaring to record levels as a result. Other categories saw general improvements, with light weight heifers settling notably dearer week-on-week.
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to restockers eased 2¢, averaging 311¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers gained 9¢, averaging 342¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to feed jumped 27¢, averaging 317¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors averaged 13¢ higher, on 270¢/kg
Throughput at Casino increased 18%, to 1,830 head. Young cattle made up the majority of the yarding, with quality mixed overall. A few drafts of well-bred cattle were on offer, with competition stronger on last week’s sale for vealer lines particularly.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers averaged 338¢, up 32¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to processors were 12¢ dearer, averaging 282¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to slaughter averaged 249¢, up 15¢/kg
Cattle numbers at Warrnambool increased 6%, to 903 head. Quality across most categories was good, with the regular buyers operating in a mixed market. Prices held firm for grown heifers, along with cows in better condition, while most young cattle sold to a dearer trend.
- Light D1 yearling steers to restockers averaged 292¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors averaged 316¢, up 5¢/kg
- Heavy D1 cows to slaughter averaged 216¢, up 5¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled at 615.75¢, up 8¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were up 3¢, at 337¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 15¢, to 308¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 6¢, to 307¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 4¢, to 240¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 5¢, to 342¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?