Thursday daily cattle summary
20 October 2016
Throughput at Dalby eased 14% week-on-week to 4,670 head and contained some good consignments from far western districts. Price trends were cheaper across all categories, with the exception of a few top quality lines of yearling steers and heifers to restockers.
- Light weight C2 yearling steers to restockers eased 16¢, averaging 409¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed were 15¢ cheaper on 369¢/kg
- Medium weight C2 yearling heifers to feed were 11¢ easier, settling on 349¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows sold to processors 8¢ easier on 254¢/kg
Numbers remained similar week-on-week at Casino, with 1,600 head yarded and consisted predominantly of young cattle. Quality was mixed with some well finished vealers through the sale, however there was a fair number of plainer grades offered.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers eased 22¢ to average 387¢/kg
- Medium weight C3 vealer heifers to slaughter were 12¢ cheaper on 375¢/kg
- Medium weight D2 cows to processors were back 14¢ on 218¢/kg
The yarding at Leongatha decreased to 1,269 head and consisted mostly of export cattle. The regular group of buyers was present and operating more selectively in a cheaper market. Quality was mixed with fewer prime cattle on offer, however quality played a minor role in the price reductions seen today with softer demand the driver.
- Heavy D3 grown steers to slaughter slipped 32¢ to average 311¢/kg
- Medium weight E1 dairy cows were 26¢ easier, averaging 199¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows to processors were back 14¢ to 259¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled on 681¢, down 7¢/kg cwt from where it was the previous day
- Trade steers were back 2¢, on 359¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers eased 4¢, on 313¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers slipped 2¢, on 316¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows eased 4¢,on 240¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers finished 5¢ easier, on 366¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?