Thursday daily cattle summary
22 September 2016
Widespread rain reduced consignments at Dalby by more than half to 1,123 head. Cows were well supplied and there were some pens of smaller cattle suitable to restockers and feeders yarded, along with some good quality supplementary fed lines.
- Medium weight C2 yearling steers to feeders returned 365¢, back 11¢ while those to restockers lifted 32¢ and averaged 374¢/kg
- Medium weight C2 yearling heifers to feed were 5¢ dearer on 364¢/kg
- Heavy weight C3 grown steers to processors were 26¢ dearer on340¢/kg
- D3 medium cows to slaughter were 22¢ dearer on 281¢/kg
Numbers at Casino remained relatively steady week-on-week with 1,200 head yarded. The quality of the yarding lifted and predominantly consisted of young cattle, most of which sold to restockers at dearer trends.
- Light weight C2 vealer steers to restockers were 28¢ dearer, averaging 442¢ while medium weights returned 414¢, up 19¢/kg
- C2 medium weight vealer heifer to slaughter lifted 4¢ to 380¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to slaughter gained 11¢, averaging 246¢/kg
Consignments to Warrnambool increased week-on-week to 929 head. Quality ranged from plain to good and prices remained similar to last week for the young cattle and grown steers and heifers as a result of keen competition from the usual buyers. However, cow prices eased following lower demand.
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to slaughter averaged 356¢, up 2¢ while similar heifers to feed were 12¢ easier on 328¢/kg
- Most grown steers were easier, with C4’s to slaughter averaging 347¢, back 3¢ while C3 grown heifers were 9¢ dearer and averaged 333¢
- E1 medium weight dairy cows eased 2¢ to 212¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled on 712.75¢, up 0.75¢/kg cwt, on where it had finished the previous day
- Trade steers remained steady on 386¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers eased 5¢, to 351¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 4¢, to 355¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 3¢, to 265¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 1¢, on 380¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?