Thursday daily cattle summary
23 June 2016
Consignments at Dalby decreased 30%, to 2,675 head. A number of classes sold to record levels this week, with all the usual buyers in attendance, however not all operating. Demand for young cattle strengthened, with conditions improving notably across most categories.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers gained 19¢, averaging 361¢, while medium lines to feed jumped 20¢, to 355¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed averaged 18¢ higher, on 327¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors were up 13¢, averaging 284¢/kg
Casino cattle throughput declined 13%, to 1,586 head. Young cattle lines were well represented, with medium and heavy weight vealer categories in good supply. Quality across the offering improved, with less plainer grades penned week-on-week.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers jumped 18¢, averaging 356¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to processors averaged 7¢ higher, at 289¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to slaughter were up 5¢, averaging 254¢/kg
Throughput at Warrnambool increased 5%, to 948 head. The market finished dearer overall, with the usual processors and additional restockers contributing to the stronger conditions. Quality ranged from average to good, with cows well supplied.
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to processors jumped 25¢, averaging 319¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown heifers to slaughter averaged 278¢, up 5¢/kg
- Heavy D1 dairy cows averaged 232¢, up 16¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 640.75¢, up 6.75¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were up 4¢, at 343¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were steady, on 338¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 4¢, to 320¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 2¢, to 251¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 3¢, to 353¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?