Thursday daily cattle summary
28 April 2016
Throughput at Dalby decreased 23% this week, to 4,390 head. Most of the regular buyers were in operation, with some extra exporters attending from New South Wales and Victoria. Restockers and feedlot buyer were more selective, with medium and heavy weight steers easing in price as a result.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers eased 11¢, averaging 307¢, while heavy lines to feed were back 7¢, on 282¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to restockers jumped 19¢, averaging 289¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors averaged were back 5¢, averaging 215¢/kg
Consignments at Casino decreased 18%, to 1,072 head. Quality was fairly mixed across most categories, with medium weight vealers making up the bulk of the yarding. Vealer lines suitable to restockers trended cheaper, while heavy cows sold slightly dearer.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers eased 8¢, averaging 284¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to processors averaged 273¢, back 4¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter were up 3¢, at 202¢/kg
Warrnambool cattle numbers declined 3%, to 801 head. Cattle on offer presented in mostly poor to average condition across most categories, with the usual array of buyers in attendance. Younger lines sold dearer, with cows and grown steers following a similar trend week-on-week.
- Heavy D1 yearling heifers to restockers averaged 221¢/kg cwt
- Heavy C3 bullocks to processors averaged 295¢, up 6¢/kg cwt
- Heavy D1 cows were 11¢ dearer, averaging 181¢/kg cwt
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 546.50¢, up 1.25¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were back 3¢, on 305¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 4¢, on 271¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 2¢, at 281¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were back 1¢, on 197¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were back 1¢, on 297¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?