Thursday daily cattle summary
30 June 2016
Cattle throughput at Dalby increased 90% on the week prior, to 5,086 head. Quality was fair to good, with most of the usual buyers in operation. Light weight yearlings were keenly sought after by restockers, finishing dearer, while grown categories held firm and cows experienced a mixed trend, with condition having an influence.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers averaged 1¢ dearer, at 362¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed were up 12¢, averaging 338¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers to processors eased 1¢, averaging 337¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter averaged 280¢, back 4¢/kg
Consignments at Casino increased 41%, to 2,230 head. Younger categories made up the bulk of the yarding, and both light and medium weight vealers were in good supply. Quality was fair, with a large yarding of well finished and well bred vealers penned.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers averaged 347¢, back 9¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to processors gained 18¢, averaging 307¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to slaughter eased 2¢, averaging 229¢/kg
Numbers at Warrnambool increased 11%, to 1,049 head. Quality varied across most categories this week, with the usual field of buyers present and active. Young cattle in good condition held firm to dearer in places, with cows well supplied.
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors held firm, averaging 334¢/kg
- Medium E1 dairy cows to slaughter were up 11¢, averaging 211¢, while heavy D1 lines to the same order were back 1¢, averaging 231¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 658.50¢, up 2.75¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers held firm, on 351¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 3¢, to 333¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 5¢, to 332¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were back 1¢, at 254¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 1¢, to 359¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?