Thursday daily cattle summary
21 July 2016
At Dalby this week, cattle consignments declined 38% to 3,752 head. Scattered showers saw restocker buyer activity continue across lighter yearling weights, with heifers selling to strong demand. Feeder buyers operated keenly on medium and heavy weights, with prices dependant on the quality penned.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers averaged 362¢, back 3¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed were firm, averaging 344¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows to processors were up 6¢, averaging 258¢/kg
Consignments at Casino increased 21%, to 2,010 head. A good supply of medium weight vealers were penned this week, with quality fair to good overall. Prime vealers, suitable for restockers, were well supplied and competition strengthened across most categories.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers gained 7¢, averaging 347¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to averaged 327¢, up 8¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to processors jumped 6¢, averaging 228¢/kg
Warrnambool cattle throughput increased 84% this week, to 950 head. Improved weather conditions saw supply lift once again, with most of the regular buying group in operation. Quality was mixed, with conditions trending dearer across all weights and grades.
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to processors were up 24¢, averaging 361¢/kg
- Heavy C3 bullocks to slaughter averaged 4¢ lower, at 352¢/kg
- Heavy D1 dairy cows were up 20¢, averaging 221¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday ‘s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 659.75¢, back 0.50¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were up 1¢, on 356¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 6¢, on 351¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 6¢, on 329¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 2¢, on 248¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were back 1¢, to 364¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?