Thursday daily cattle summary
02 September 2015
Dalby yarded 4,546 head, back 17% week-on-week, following some rain across the supply area. Buyer attendance was good and the rain also encouraged additional restocker buyers, lifting prices on young light weight cattle. There were increased numbers of heavy yearling steers suitable to feed on and more heavy yearling heifers off crop.
- Medium C2 yearling feeder steers eased 2¢, averaging 300¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to the trade jumped 16¢, averaging 309¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to the same orders eased 4¢, averaging 282¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers gained 7¢, averaging 292¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows improved 4¢, averaging 260¢/kg
Throughput at Casino declined 8%, to 1,230 head of mostly young cattle, and quality remained mixed.
- Vealer D2 steers (below 200kg) to restockers eased 10¢, averaging 289¢/kg
- Medium (200-280kg) C2 vealer steers and heifers to the trade improved 8¢ and 9¢, respectively, to average 293¢ and 296¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to slaughter eased 2¢, averaging 217¢/kg
Consignments at Leongatha increased 8%, to 1,399 head. Most of the usual buyers were present but not all were operating fully. Quality was also plainer and market trends were mixed.
- Medium D3 yearling heifers to the trade improved 9¢, averaging 300¢/kg
- Heavy C2 grown steers to slaughter jumped 20¢, averaging 320¢/kg
- Medium D3 manufacturing steers lifted 34¢, averaging 309¢/kg
- Medium E1 dairy cows increased 25¢, averaging 198¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled at 576.25¢/kg cwt, steady on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers averaged 324¢, back 3¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers averaged 314¢, back 2¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers averaged 310¢, up 2¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 322¢, back 2¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows averaged 241¢, up 1¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA’s National Livestock Reporting Service (NLRS) reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?