Thursday daily cattle summary
12 November 2015
Dalby throughput increased 71%, to 5,101 head. Quality was mixed, with the significantly larger yarding showing varying quality throughout all grades, particularly amongst the cows. The increase in numbers prompted an early easing in some of the prime classes however as the sale progressed the competition became more fierce, especially in the feeder and restocker markets.
- Medium D2 vealer heifers to restockers sold to a top of 356¢ and averaged 291¢/kg
- Medium D2 yearling steers to feed improved 49¢, averaging 326¢/kg
- Medium D2 yearling heifers to feed increased 49¢, to average 309¢/kg
- D4 bullocks sold at a height of 306¢ and averaged 295¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows averaged 249¢, up 4¢/kg
Throughput at Casino jumped 72%, to 1,300 head, and a large number of young cattle were penned. Quality was very mixed. The usual buying group was present and operating a strong market.
- Light C2 vealer steers to restockers sold to a top of 371¢, averaging 352¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers averaged 331¢, up 19¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to restockers slipped 4¢, averaging 302¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows increased 4¢, to average 242¢/kg
Leongatha consignments lifted 53%, to 2,522 head. Overall quality was good, particularly in the prime cattle. There was a full field of buyers present and competing in a dearer market
- Medium D3 yearling heifers to slaughter improved 11¢, to average 283¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers averaged 299¢, up 11¢/kg
- C4 bullocks increased 11¢, averaging 305¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows jumped 17¢, to 255¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled at 593.75¢, up 3.00¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers averaged 311¢/kg lwt, steady
- Medium steers averaged 292¢, up 1¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 302¢, back 1¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows averaged 245¢, up 2¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers averaged 323¢, up 1¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?