Thursday daily cattle summary
29 October 2015
Dalby consignments eased 29%, to 3,014 head. Quality was mixed but some pens of well finished cattle were yarded. The usual buying group was present and active in a generally dearer market, with restockers competitive on light weights after recent rain.
- Light weight C2 yearling steers to restockers increased 15¢, averaging 308¢/kg
- Medium weight C2 yearling steers to feeder buyers improved 9¢, to average 300¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to feed jumped 10¢, to average 307¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers reached 308¢ and averaged 300¢, up 9¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows jumped 22¢, averaging 271¢/kg
Throughput at Casino was back 14% week-on-week, at 648 head. Quality was mixed, with several pens of well finished cattle off crop and supplementary feed, however there were a fair number of plain cattle throughout the sale.
- light D2 vealer steers to restockers lifted 32¢, averaging 280¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to slaughter lifted 6¢, averaging 277¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows jumped 15¢, averaging 211¢/kg
Consignments at Leongatha increased 47% week-on-week, to 2,332 head. The usual buying group was present and operating in a mixed but generally dearer market. Quality was good, with a larger proportion of the yarding showing good finish.
- Medium D3 yearling heifers to slaughter eased 7¢, averaging 265¢/kg
- Heavy D3 grown steers slipped 2¢, averaging 289¢
- D3 Bullocks sold to 292¢ and averaged 286¢/kg, steady on last week
- Medium D3 manufacturing steers increased 1¢, to average 275¢/kg
- Heavy D2 beef cows increased 8¢, averaging 218¢/kg
- Heavy D2 dairy cows increased 13¢, on 225¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled at 542.75¢, up 2.75¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers averaged 294¢, down 1¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers averaged 283¢, up 4¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 291¢, up 3¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows averaged 224¢, up 6¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers averaged 300¢, up 2¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?