Thursday daily cattle summary
24 September 2015
Dalby numbers were down 10% week-on-week, to 5,445 head. Quality in the offering was generally good, with buyer support holding strong across all categories. Restocker buyers were hungry to secure light weight yearling cattle.
- Light C2 yearling restocker steers were up 7¢, averaging 327¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling feeder steers slipped 6¢, averaging 325¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling feeder heifers jumped 17¢, averaging 300¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers to slaughter jumped 4¢, averaging 313¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows eased 2¢, to average 265¢/kg
Throughput at Casino slipped 29%, with 1,200 head yarded. It was again a mixed quality yarding, with some strong lines of well finished supplementary fed cattle on offer, in addition to a number of plain cattle throughout.
- Light D2 vealer steers to restockers jumped 12¢, averaging 323¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers improved 9¢, averaging 307¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to slaughter up 3¢, averaging 289¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows eased 4¢, averaging 238¢/kg
Leongatha throughput eased 14%, to 1,374 head. The usual group of buyers were in attendance and operating in a dearer market. Quality was mixed, with a larger portion showing good finish and fewer winter affected cattle.
- Heavy D3 yearling heifers were up 2¢, to average 311¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers increased 1¢, averaging 329¢/kg
- Medium C3 grown heifers to slaughter jumped 9¢, averaging 302¢/kg
- Medium D1 dairy cows jumped 8¢, averaging 226¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished at 591.50¢, up 1.25¢/kg cwt on where it settled the previous day
- Trade steers averaged 320¢/kg lwt, steady
- Feeder steers averaged 327¢/kg lwt, steady
- Medium steers averaged 305¢, back 2¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 314¢, up 1¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows averaged 242¢, up 1¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?