Thursday daily cattle summary
17 September 2015
Dalby’s numbers slightly increased on last week, up 3% to 6,032 head, with a large number of yearling steers and heifers suitable to feed. A full panel of export processors, feeder buyers and restockers were present and operating in a relatively dearer market.
- Light C2 yearling steers improved 15¢, averaging 320¢/kg
- Medium C3 yearling steers jumped 8¢, averaging 331¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers down 7¢ averaging 295¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers up 5¢, averaging 309¢/kg
The yarding at Casino jumped 22% on last week to 1,680 head, with a large number of vealer steers and heifers suitable to feed penned. Quality of cattle improved with less plain cattle through the sale this week. The usual buyers operated in a relatively dearer market.
- Light D2 vealer steers eased 1¢, averaging 311¢/kg
- Light D2 vealer heifers increased 6¢, averaging 272¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers jumped 5¢, averaging 299¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows eased 2¢ averaging 219¢/kg
Leongatha’s yarding increased 38% to 1,590 head, with a large number of grown steers and cows offered however numbers of yearling heifers and steers were down. Quality in the larger steers improved although demand slipped. A full field of buyers were present and operating in a generally steady market.
- C3 and D3 grown steers eased 1¢ and 2¢, averaging 328¢ and 323¢/kg respectively
- Light E1 dairy cows eased 5¢, averaging 173¢/kg
- Heavy D2 dairy cows increased 2C¢, averaging 244¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled at 590.50¢, up 8.00¢/kg cwt week-on-week
- Trade steers averaged 328¢, down 3¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers averaged 328¢, up 1¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers averaged 303¢,down 3¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 310¢, up 1¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows averaged 240¢, up 1¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?