Thursday daily cattle summary
06 August 2015
Throughput at Dalby declined 6%, to 4,593 head, and additional restockers from Queensland and interstate joined the panel of export and feeder buyers. Restockers with oats to feed competed strongly with feeder buyers in the dearer medium and heavy yearling steer section. Heavy grown steers and bullocks also lifted while cows sold to a mixed trend.
- Medium C2 yearling feeder steers sold to 311¢ and averaged 297¢, up 6¢/kg
- The same weight and condition heifers to feed on slipped 15¢, averaging 267¢g
- Heavy C4 grown steers averaged 281¢, up 9¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows made 241¢, back 1¢/kg
Casino yarded 2,000 head, up 15% week-on-week, and quality improved, with an increased number of milk vealer and supplementary fed cattle on offer. Young cattle mostly improved in price and an additional buyer in the cow market provided further support on the medium and heavy weights.
- Light D2 vealer steers to restockers improved 4¢, averaging 288¢/kg
- Medium C2 lines to the same orders lifted 22¢, averaging 294¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to the trade averaged 262¢, up 5¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to slaughter eased 6¢, averaging 203¢/kg
Consignments at Leongatha lifted 20%, to 1,999 head of mostly export cattle, but quality was mixed, with prime cattle limited and plainer, secondary drafts well supplied. However, increased competition saw prices lift across most categories.
- Medium D3 yearling heifers to the trade improved 12¢, averaging 305¢/kg
- D3 bullocks lifted 22¢, averaging 355¢ and selling to 362¢/kg
- Medium D3 manufacturing steers averaged 328¢, up 19¢/kg
- Heavy E1 dairy cows averaged 244¢, up 5¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished at 565.50¢, up 1.00¢/kg cwt
- Trade steers averaged 329¢, up 2¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers averaged 309¢/kg lwt, steady
- Medium steers averaged 308¢/kg lwt, steady
- Heavy steers averaged 315¢, back 7¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows averaged 232¢/kg, up 4¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA’s National Livestock Reporting Service (NLRS) reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?