Thursday daily cattle summary
03 November 2016
At Dalby, cattle throughput increased 34% to 5,272 head. Quality was generally good overall, with a larger number of western sourced bullocks on offer. The usual field of buyers were present, with yearling steers to feed selling to strong demand in sections and cows holding mostly firm.
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to feed were down 1¢, averaging 340¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restockers gained 3¢, averaging 362¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers to processors slipped 14¢, averaging 291¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter settled 1¢ dearer, at 235¢/kg
Casino cattle numbers declined 2%, to 1,160 head. A good supply of medium weight vealers were on offer this week, with quality overall very mixed. Several pens of well-bred steers and heifers, suitable for restockers, were also penned– with the market for trade veal finishing firm to marginally cheaper.
- Light C2 vealer steers to restockers gained 2¢, averaging 393¢/kg
- Light C2 vealer heifers to processors were back 3¢, averaging 363¢/kg
- Light D2 cows to restockers eased 11¢, averaging 205¢/kg
Cattle numbers in Warrnambool decreased 3%, to 815 head. Quality ranged from average to good this week, with cows varying in condition. The regular field of buyers were present, and the market finished mostly firm, despite both vealer and cow sections trending dearer.
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to slaughter sold to 315¢, averaging 290¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown heifers to processors averaged 273¢/kg
- Heavy D1 cows to the same orders were up 13¢, averaging 230¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished at 660.75¢, down 1¢/kg cwt from where it settled the previous day
- Trade steers were back 2¢, on 345¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 10¢, on 303¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were down 4¢, to 299¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 1¢,on 231¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers settled 1¢ lower, at 357¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?