Thursday daily cattle summary
10 November 2016
Throughput at Dalby declined 13% this week, to 3,708 head. Most buyers were present and operating, with a wide variation in price trends, as light weight yearlings to restockers sold firm to dearer. Those to feed were also keenly sought after, with a similar trend recorded.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers were up 1¢, averaging 402¢, while medium lines to feed reached 370¢, averaging 358¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restockers eased 6¢, averaging 356¢/kg
- Medium C2 grown steers to feed were back 16¢, averaging 294¢/kg
Numbers at Casino increased 29%, to 1,500 head. A good supply of medium and heavy weight vealers were penned this week, with quality improving throughout all young cattle sections. A lift in well finished veal were on offer, and the market strengthened overall as a result.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers gained 9¢, averaging 402¢/kg
- Light C2 vealer heifers to processors were up 3¢, averaging 366¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to processors eased 4¢, averaging 222¢/kg
Consignments at Warrnambool increased 6%, to 864 head. Quality ranged from plain to good, with all the usual following of buyers present. Vealer sections to processors eased in price, while most yearling lines to restockers settled dearer on last weeks sale.
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to processors finished 1¢ dearer, at 291¢/kg
- Heavy C4 bullocks to slaughter reached 318¢, averaging 299¢/kg
- Heavy D1 dairy cows to the same orders were back 1¢, averaging 211¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled at 656¢, up 1.25¢/kg cwt from where it settled the previous day
- Trade steers held firm on 339¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were steady on 304¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers gained 1¢, at 299¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were back 1¢,on 229¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers finished 1¢ dearer, at 352¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?