Thursday daily cattle summary
17 November 2016
Cattle throughput at Dalby increased 15% this week, to 4,271 head. Overall quality was fair to good, with bullocks sourced from western regions well supplied. Most of the regular buyers operated, as solid restocker demand lifted prices on light weight yearlings.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers were up 3¢, averaging 406¢, while medium sections to feed eased 9¢, at 350¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restockers gained 5¢, averaging 361¢, while medium feeder lines were up 7¢, averaging 341¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors finished 1¢ dearer, averaging 242¢/kg
Numbers at Casino declined 1%, to 1,486 head. Medium weight vealers were well represented, with several drafts of heavier weights and yearlings also on offer. Quality varied throughout younger sections, with some good lines of well finished vealers penned.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers eased 7¢, averaging 395¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to processors finished 2¢ dearer, at 368¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to slaughter were up 8¢, averaging 230¢/kg
Warrnambool consignments increased 28%, to 1,105 head. Quality varied this week, with a lift in better conditioned sections seen throughout all categories. The usual buyers were in attendance, however not all fully operational, with restockers particularly active on drafts of yearling steers.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to restockers finished 37¢ dearer, at 367¢/kg
- Heavy C4 bullocks to slaughter were up 7¢, averaging 306¢/kg
- Heavy D1 dairy cows averaged 2¢ dearer, at 214¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled at 650.50¢, up 2.75¢/kg cwt from where it settled the previous day
- Trade steers were up 1¢, on 334¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers slipped 6¢, on 292¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 2¢, at 300¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows held firm, at 232¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers settled 2¢ cheaper on 352¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?