Thursday daily cattle summary
24 November 2016
Cattle throughput at Dalby increased 4%, to 4,453 head. Quality this week was fair to good overall, with grown cattle limited, however a much larger offering of cows were penned. The usual field of export processors operated, along with some additional feeder buyers, with restockers particularly active in a fluctuating market.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers were back 19¢, averaging 386¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restockers eased 7¢, averaging 354¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors were up 6¢, averaging 249¢/kg
Consignments at Casino declined 6%, to 1,400 head. A larger penning of medium and heavy weight vealers were on offer this week, along with a fair supply of light yearling lines. Quality varied, and variations in both breed and condition resulted in a mixed trend throughout the sale, with processors operating selectively.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers eased 15¢, averaging 380¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to processors were back 24¢, averaging 344¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to slaughter finished 5¢ dearer, at 212¢/kg
At Warrnambool this week, cattle numbers declined 30% to 779 head. Quality ranged from plain to good across most categories this week, with all the regular buyers in attendance, accompanied by some additional restocker support. Prices remained mostly firm for younger sections and cows, while some grown categories trended marginally dearer.
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to restockers gained 43¢, averaging 308¢/kg
- Heavy C5 bullocks to processors gained 40¢, averaging 318¢/kg
- Heavy C3 cows to slaughter were up 2¢, averaging 245¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished on 645.25¢, down 5.25¢/kg cwt from where it settled the previous day
- Trade steers held firm on 339¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 1¢, on 302¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers gained 1¢, at 300¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 1¢, on 235¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers settled 1¢ dearer, at 354¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?