Thursday daily cattle summary
04 August 2016
Throughput at Dalby increased 12% this week, to 3,925 head. Quality was good, with a large panel of buyers competing in a dearer market. Southern exporter demand for bullocks was strong, while supermarket buyers bid keenly on cow sections. Restockers were active on light weight yearlings, trending dearer overall.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers were up 14¢, averaging 391¢, while medium lines to feed gained 11¢, to 378¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to feed were back 10¢, averaging 347¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors were up 4¢, averaging 277¢/kg
At Casino, cattle numbers declined 16% to 1,600 head. Younger lines were well represented, with a good supply of light and medium weight vealers penned. Quality was mixed, with a fair run of plainer sections, along with several lines well-bred steers and heifers throughout the sale.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers were up 20¢, averaging 372¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to processors averaged 7¢ higher, at 340¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to slaughter were back 4¢, averaging 245¢/kg
Warrnambool consignments declined 23%, to 730 head. Most of the regular buying group were present this week, with the market holding mostly firm and cattle suitable for export well supplied. Quality was plain, with the exception of a few drafts of average to good conditioned grown steers.
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors were up 3¢, averaging 342¢/kg
- Medium D1 dairy cows averaged 8¢ higher, at 222¢, while heavy D2 dairy sections held firm, averaging 235¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 692¢, up 5¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were back 2¢, on 372¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 1¢, on 331¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were back 2¢, on 340¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were firm, on 254¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 1¢, to 378¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?